When in 1540 the Turks landed in Puente Mayorga there was already a settlement here at the place. Until the 1930's the village had its own cutoms office and could have been the natural harbour for the Bay of Algeciras.
Torreguadiaro was part of the exiting coastal defence system which was operational from the 15th until the 19th century.
The watch tower here may have been built about the end of the 15th century and was used as a shelter for travellers, cattle herdsmen and wood collectors from the area.
In 1796 it had a canon and a company of guards. The present village was developed around a fish village.