The Roman city of Barbesula was located on a low-lying
area near the River Guadiaro.
Some hitorians interpret the place name Guadiaro as
a Latin version of the Greek name Chrysus. In 400 B.C.
the River Chrysus is quoted as a provisions and trading
point for the eastern part of Straits of Gibraltar.
In the 17th century there were several country estates
in the area, as well as the popular Guadiaro Roadside
Inn. When the English occupied Gibraltar in 1704, some
of the inhabitants from the rock came to this area.