The city of San Roque so-called City of Gibraltar in
Takes its name from the Rock due to the series of events
that occurred in 1704 when the isthmus was taken by
the English and the original inhabitants refused the
British offer to stay in the colony.
The town was founded on a small hill with a chapel dedicated
to Saint Roque where Gibraltarians used to go to pray
for protection from the plague.
San Roque city grew gradually during the sieges on the
Rock, and its parish church was built on the same site
as the chapel in 1735.