The horses of the "Baja Andalucía"
have been admired since ancient times. The excellent
pastures at the marshes and a good climate allowed to
the breeding of these horses.
Since the incorporation to the Castilian crown in 1264,
these horses have been an important element in the life
of the inhabitants of Jerez. It has also been a source
of pride for those inhabitants to keep the monopoly
of its breeding. Standing at the frontier with the kingdom
of Granada, there were sports and festivals in which
the horse was the star.
The aim of these events was to prepare them for the
frontier fights Los "Monjes Cartujos" were
in charge of creating one of the nicest breeds horses.
This breed still exists. The descendents of this horse
inherited the "Papillo and Verruga" that become
a sign wanted by everybody .
The Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art was founded
in Jerez in 1.973 on Álvaro Domecq´s initiative
. The intention was to promote the horse breaking, to
maintain the prestige of the local horsemanship to the
development of new horseme. Its main quarters is in
the palace of El Recreo de las Cadenas.
Today there are many horse breeders in the region of
Cadiz like Yeguada de Tomás Osborne, Domecq Romero